Mostly recaps of two wheeled rambles through the countryside, but sometimes thoughts on other things.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Winter Bike Project

Okay, 70F in mid February lacks a wintery feeling, but the boxy brown truck delivered my winter project today. A 1995 (1st year) Rivendell. This was hand made for Rivendell by Waterford Precision Cycles in Waterford, WI. The frame is silver brazed and made of Reynolds 753, a heat treated version of Reynolds 531 manganese molyebdenum alloy steel. The fork blades are the more flexible 531. I took measurements (easy to do with nothing yet hung it) and recorded them. I weighed it as well. the frame and fork and head set (A new looking Chris King) weighed a total of 5 1/4 lbs.  Then I pulled some parts off the shelf and other bikes to see in general if this frame, built up, would make a comfortable fit.

In addition to the handle bars (also a mustache set. Not sure which will be used yet) and leather bar tape and saddle with seat post, I have a NOS Campy Veloce road triple crankset, a Gran Cru bottom bracket, pedals and NOS Tiagra brake levers. The wheel set pictured will be used: Velocity 28s Aeroheads on Sansin hubs. I'll put a different set of Synergy / Deore wheels back on the Nashbar. So, a few parts still need to be gathered up and I'll hunt around for a nice looking and working front and rear derailler set up. Bar ends or down tube shifters? Not sure yet. And nice bottle cages in stainless wire of course.

Some pictures:



Here it is in the trainer stand. I grabbed the randoneur bars to the left and simulated where they would be with various stem lengths.



Here I am seeing how relaxed my arms are with the bars where they night be using about a 9 or 10 cm stem. Not too stretched out, and maybe some of that excess bulk will go away if I ride more.  I love the headbadge on this bike, and the beautiful (Richard Sachs designed) lug work. The head badge is laquered brass and is screwed on the bike, just like in the old days.


And finally, a close up of the name.



No comments:

Blog Archive

The Pace Line