Mostly recaps of two wheeled rambles through the countryside, but sometimes thoughts on other things.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

"I'm Singin' In The Rain"

I usually keep an eye on the weather in the run up to a ride. If it's going to rain, I don't go.  I've certainly ridden in rain, all day in fact, but nice weather is what I prefer. Rain is in the forecast all week and when 10:00 rolled around this morning, it was misting almost heavily enough to be called a drizzle. I posted the ride, but only 1 taker was interested and she decided to stay dry. After saying I too would skip, I hopped on the bike anyway and set out.

It was great.  For a sense of how it felt:



Riding solo lets me relax in way riding with others can't. I don't need to stay up with anyone, or wait for anyone. I can stop when I feel like it, and start again when ready. I hear the bike better, the chain, the pedals, the shifters, I feel them and I feel how my muscles are working without distraction. I play music in my head. A good cover band doing Roll With The Changes, an Italian acoustic trio doing a fantastic Sultans of Swing. I think about my Sunday School lesson, bike projects, all sorts of things.

Someone called out my name as I passed the public artesian fountain along Autauga Creek. I didn't know who it was, but they knew me from a past ride and wanted to "get back on the bike." Always a good thing, I agreed.

I thought about all the bikes I've fixed for people. (I don't charge. I did appreciate the smoked pork that someone gave me as a thank you though. Also a can of WD-40 from another.) It's a way to minister to people that blesses me as much as it helps them. It leads to some fruitful conversation as well.

The mist-drizzle-sweat all mixed to make me pretty wet. No issue for a wool kit though. I wiped my glasses with a finger when needed and I could see, enough. In the Summer (and for all intent and purpose, it is Summer here in the steamy south) rain on a ride is a cool refreshment. Ride refreshed my friends.



No comments:

Blog Archive

The Pace Line