Mostly recaps of two wheeled rambles through the countryside, but sometimes thoughts on other things.

Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Covidian Spring

Welcome back friends! It's been a delightful Spring so far, after a very rainy late Winter. Well, other than that life has changed significantly for many people due to the Corona Virus Novel 2019 and associated Covid19 disease. Politicians have had a field day with it, with some only paying attention to scientists when the observations seemed to lean their way. So far what we know is, 99.8% of people have NOT gotten ill from it yet (some had it and hardly knew it). That still means many people have been sick and a higher than usual (for colds, flu, the illnesses we mostly think of when a virus is mentioned) number of these have died. Unusually strong counter measures were enforced starting in March, and for many people, unemployment ensued, anxiety attacked and short tempers with disagreers on the best course of action flared.  But the aroma of tea olives and jasmine, wisteria and honeysuckle is still no less sweet. The birds sing and the weather has been great to ride a bicycle. Riding is an excellent way to burn adrenaline and order your thoughts away from the screaming headlines. Exercise is one of the ways you can protect yourself from illness we are told.

Our local club and my national randonneur outfit went on hiatus when the mandatory gathering restrictions came out.  The local club has just this week opened back up since our area saw an easing of restrictions effective 5/11. I've been riding pretty much my regular schedule all along, either solo, or with just a few friends I know are not sick and we keep a good distance apart. No handshakes, etc.  I'm right on my average for mileage and just a hair slower in pace for this point in the year. I'll be 67 this year and if 1 mph is all I have to concede in order to keep going 3,500/yr, I can live with that. It's up and down though.  Yesterday I rode a 50 mile loop I've done several times over the past 10 years. I was quicker by about 1/2 mph than the previous best.  Go figure. Brisk headwind for 10 open country miles coming in too. It was less help behind me in the shaded outbound portion than it was an obstacle coming back in, and that is always how wind works for me. There's been so much wind this year that I hardly care anymore. Just ride. Slow down when I have to, speed up when I can.  Manage the effort level and don't let myself get too winded  (haha, right?).

I've really enjoyed helping people with bike questions and user level repairs. Our garage has seen a steady stream of projects from bent wheels to  stuck shifters to rehabbing donations so they can be re-homed. Our club has been doing a weekly FaceBook live class for bike stuff during the shut down and it seems to be doing well. I certainly enjoy teaching them. They're aimed at mechanical beginners, not cycle gurus.

We've been doing church via Zoom and that has worked out okay for the most part.  I also teach Weds nights and do Sunday school that way.  We'll have our 1st in-person worship next Sunday with alternate pews only and families at least 6' apart. No passing the collection plate (on a table in the back instead) or communion while it's not safe to touch things and pass around. I'm hopeful that it comes together as we plan.

Work is little different for me. I worked from home before, so no change there. I can't just drop in on people, but I do go when requested to meet a customer. Again, distance, no touching.  I am sad for those furloughed or whose jobs have evaporated during the shutdown.

You'll be shocked and amazed that there have been no new paint jobs or bike re-builds. I am still happy with what I have. I continue to be the leading Alabama sales rep for Selle-Anatomica saddles, although they pay not a cent in commission. :)  2 friends ordered 3 saddles between them after trying mine and a 3rd friend borrowed my spare today to test out. Our Sunday Social ride was a rain out, but I met the saddle borrower and a friend needing crank arm puller assistance under a former bank drive through canopy and conducted bike business there instead.

You know, if the bike uptick continues after the covid all-clear sounds, I may be able to switch from selling pre-engineered metal buildings to doing bike fitting and repairs for cash money instead of just for fun. I'm not betting on it. There would be more likelihood if cycling infrastructure (bike lanes, bike racks, bike traffic signals) were in place.

I'll leave you with this funny story.  Yesterday on the ride, one of the other cyclists turned and asked me, "surely someone has suggested you check your saddle height, because your hips really rock a lot."  It made me laugh because I'm pretty well versed on bike fit :).  I actually know people who like to ride behind me because they get a laugh at how funny I look. (Dana A, I am thinking of you here).  What's really a treat is when my friend Frank and I ride together. We BOTH rock and often in opposite directions. Side by side we are highly entertaining I'm sure!  No, my legs are properly extended at the bottom of my pedal stroke and the saddle height is comfortable. I push hard on the pedals and the bike rocks side to side at times and my hips do too.  It's just an idiosyncrasy.  I'm such a goof on an old lugged steel bike, often in baggy MTB or touring shorts (unpadded as a rule), Keen sandals and wool, on a leather saddle. No electronic shifting (or brifters for that matter), carbon or Ti anywhere. yet somehow, I still love to ride and can't remember a ride I didn't feel glad to do (even if I was ready to be done somewhere before the end of it).  Some pictures from a Sunday Social ride.  My Rivendell Rambouillet behind Barbara's Rivdendell Clem L. I suggested that bike to her and was amazed she got it. She loves it as I do mine.  Then there's me at my most comfortable, in non spandex and just cruisin'.  With that, I'll cruise on out and wish you all tailwinds until next time.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The Pace Line